JEWISH MEMORIAL CHAPEL
In 2012, B’nai Shalom became a member of the Jewish Memorial Chapel which is located at 841 Allwood Road in Clifton, NJ. The Chapel is a unique funeral home; its mission is to provide affordable traditional Jewish funerals for the local community. It is the first and one of only a handful of nonprofit Jewish funeral homes in the United States. Its Officers and Board of Directors consist of Delegates from its member organizations which currently consist of B’nai Shalom and 23 other synagogues and Jewish organizations in the area. In order to become a member of the Chapel, an organization must have ownership of burial grounds at a Jewish cemetery. Of course, the funerals themselves are arranged and conducted by professional licensed funeral directors. The Chapel’s funerals are conducted with dignity and in strict compliance with Halacha (Jewish Law).
At the end of the fiscal year, any excess of Chapel earnings over expenses are returned back to the community, via many of the deserving local charities. The money is earmarked for education, health, or care of the elderly. The most recent allocation of funds was in January 2013 for $50,000. Part of that allocation was directed to B’nai Shalom’s Religious School.
HISTORY OF THE CHAPEL - The Jewish Memorial Chapel was formally incorporated in 1921 as the Passaic United Hebrew Burial Association. Its origin dates back to a small building on Columbia Avenue in Passaic in 1907. In 1949, it changed its name and moved to 64-70 Howe Avenue in Passaic. In 1999, helped by a major bequest from the late William and Ida Gurtman, it constructed a beautiful, state-of-the-art facility, located at 841 Allwood Road in Clifton, just off Route 3. William Gurtman had been instrumental in establishing the Chapel on Howe Avenue and was a past president of the organization. He was also a past president of the Passaic Jewish Community Council (currently the Jewish Federation of Greater Clifton-Passaic) and was one of the outstanding leaders of the local Jewish Community. In 2005, the Chapel constructed a stand-alone, climate controlled, Kohanim Chapel, complete with a bi-directional audio/video hookup to the main chapel. The Jewish Memorial Chapel is located less than two miles from King Solomon and Menorah Cemeteries in Clifton. There are many other Jewish cemeteries in the surrounding area.
For more information about the Chapel, contact B'nai Shalom's delegates: Dr. Charles Kurtzer and Tom Phon, or go to the Chapel's website:
You can call the Chapel directly at 973-779-3048. Allen Edelstein is the Chapel's manager and Eric Larsen is the Chapel's director.
NOTE: There is no obligation to our members to use this or any other chapel. Our membership with the Chapel is provided as a benefit for being a part of the B’nai Shalom community.